2017 R/V Preservation Work Weekends
The summer project season is fast approaching! We could really use your help in preparing the R/V PRESERVATION
for an exciting season of fun and interesting projects. We are working on some still-in-progress items and include a number of improvements for the new season. Please review the "To Do List"
and "Dream List"
see if there is anything that you could help with. We invite you to join with us and get to know the R/V PRESERVATION
and more people in the GLSPS
. We'd love to share a weekend of boat-work and camaraderie. With the R/V PRESERVATION
and Phil's camper, we can usually house up to a dozen volunteers at a time!
This event is split into separate activities for each day of each weekend. Please register for each day you are able to attend so we can plan tasks and sleeping arrangements based on the skill-sets and headcount of those attending each day.
The task list below will be updated each work weekend (hopefully each day of work). Task progress will be reported in blue
font and completed tasks will be marked (Done!
R/V Preservation To Do List - As of 5-01-17
Please Note: Tim Pranke is in charge of ALL painting projects on the R/V PRESERVATION ! All painting instructions and procedures must be approved by Tim. Thank You!
- Pressure wash entire outside of boat - required each year. (Launch Weekend)?
- Grind/clean and repaint all pealed/rusted areas - annual process.
- Check the top of the Pres (white roof areas) - completed 2014, verify good coverage.
- Clean interior walls and repaint if needed - annual process.
- Inspect rear wall and door. Clean, paint and reseal wall as necessary. Some rust is showing in corners of rear wall. Rust grinding sealing and painting needs to be throughout the season.
- Clean bilge areas in all compartments. These high-moisture areas may need some paint work or primer applied if bare metal areas are noted.
- Inspect and repair mid-ship scupper drain pipes. Some leakage was noted last season!!!
- Clean and paint the rear deck. After paint, re-install the new rubber deck mat (installed last fall).
- Tim repaired deck supports. We are contemplating some additional changes. We hope to weld them prior to painting.
Mechanical / Electrical
- Check the rear fittings on the new hydraulic steering - slight weep at a fitting still noted? Refill / top off reservoir as needed.
Change oil on both engine fuel injector pumps - Check all couplings.
- Still experience some vibration while under way, our next procedure will be to recheck engine alignment - before and after launch? (Will check after launch to accommodate flexing of hull)
- Look for any oil leaks in the engine room.
- New horn has been installed! Mountings/wiring may need to be modified?
- Mount dive ladder to dive platform.
- Check to ensure no leakage is occurring around wires to the radar mast?
- Chart "Battery Switches" and document to ensure a safe operator procedure to start engines in the event of a discharged battery.
- Check fresh water pump impeller on both engines?
Annual Maintenance - Engine
- Change oil on both engines.
- Change diesel fuel filters for both engines and fill with fuel.
- Change oil in both injector pumps.
- Repack all white lithium grease mechanisms on freshwater engine cooling pumps.
- Repack new packing in front shaft of fresh water pumps.
- Rocker arms and push-rods were replaced (Recheck clearance)?
- Engine Hours (2017 Season) after completing above - Port = ____ Starboard = ____
- The Port engine had _ hours put on it in 2016 and the Starboard engine had _ hours put on it.
Annual Maintenance - Boat
- Remove tarp and PVC framing from boat. (Haul back to Cities and store in PK's Barn.)
- Grease both rudder posts.
- Check both main batteries - add water if necessary (distilled water only).
- Install both brass props - brass keys are stored in orange case in head or attached to props.
- Check wiper blades and wiper motor operation.
- Replace drinking water filters and prepare system for season.
- Prepare head system (chemical toilet) for season.
- Replace batteries in CO sensor, smoke detectors, bilge heat sensor and digital clocks.
- Inspect all fire extinguishers, flip and roll dry chemical extinguishers to prevent chemical compaction - date and sign tags.
- Inspect and install all safety equipment and check expiration dates for applicable items including: First Aid bag, AED, O2 pack & extra O2 bottle. First Aid bag gone through, items missing order in put into bag and are ready to go.
- Inspect all distress signal equipment, check expiration dates for applicable items.
- Insert legal paper-work, license, registrations and insurance info in designated areas.
- Install and test all electronics to verify proper function!
- Verify operation of all switches and indicators on the boat console!
- New Horn installed. Verify wiring and operation?
- The (12V DC) auxiliary plug is not working??
- Clean debris out of all deck drains (scuppers!).
- Inspect engine compartment intake ducting. Seal slit in pipe on port side.
- Final cleanup - clean and vacuum all carpet prior to leaving final weekend!
Annual Maintenance - Compressor (this is at Phil Kerber's shop in Corcoran)
- Change oil on 5-Hp Honda engine - use AMSOIL 10W-30 synthetic small engine motor oil.
- Change oil in Bauer compressor - use human grade synthetic oil.
- Remove lines and filter canisters and O2 clean them, repack canisters with new chemicals in both primary and secondary filtering systems.
- Check paper air filters at compressor and at air intake on radar mast.
- Please Note: Make sure Primary filter has "NEW" O-rings on both cap ends
- Check belts.
- Check all hoses for wear and any damage.
- Check CO monitor to see if still showing pink (Pink = ok)
- Check all bleed drain valves.
- Clean any debris and dust form external parts of the compressor.
- Install wet muffler for scuba compressor - can be installed with the compressor!
- The Scuba Compressor has ___ hours (2016) on it (2015 we used it for 121 hours).
- Install rear roof to transom tarp.
- Steve Daniel and Tom Peterson are still working on this???
- Design and build compressor containment for permanent outside mount.
- Fresh water heater installed - need to invert switch, occasional accidental "ON"!
- Do we need to Install a second cabin heater. Water lines to engine - 12V to switch???
- Design and install deck anchor roller and latch mechanism.
- Install USB Power Charging Stations donated by Jack Decker!!
- Install high temp alarm on both engines? Researching!
- Water flow indicator for compressor wet exhaust? Researching!
- Check all sacrificial anodes & replace as necessary - swap any zinc anodes with aluminum (note: rudders and heat exchangers are currently protected by zinc anodes! )
- Register MMSI Number with the Coast Guard. - Distress GPS Coordinates option on the Marine Radio. Need to register through Boats US / West Marine. Here is the link. http://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSI/ObtainMMSI#!
- Purchase an EPIRB? If it is within the budget?
- Purchase and Install New depth sounder / sonar. Looking for donations to purchase or have a unit donated.
requires participant to print, read and sign the Master Liability Release and Waiver Forms for all
click the link below to print your copy to give to the project or event leader (Thank You)
GLSPS Master Liability Waivers - Medical Forms
"EACH YEAR" WE DO HAVE A LOT TO DO!
Please join us for this rewarding time of working with GLSPS Members on one (or more) of the work weekends. Let's get the R/V Preservation
ready for an exciting season of dive projects.
Hope you can JOIN IN THE FUN!